Photography – What to Wear:
Engagement photos might be one of my favorite things about being a wedding photographer (besides the actual wedding, of course). It’s an opportunity for me to get to spend some time with you and your fiance, capturing some great images of just the two of you in normal, day-to-day garb. It also helps you get comfortable in front of the camera so you feel relaxed to show off your personality and relationship.
I frequently get asked “what should I wear for our engagement session?” – so Lora and I came up with a few suggestions: (if you have more to add, please leave a comment and we’ll add them to the list!)
- You and your fiance(e) are the subject matter, so you want to wear something that reflects who you are and what you love.
- Ifyou love pink, it’s your trademark color – wear that.
- One of our friends is from Texas, and she said she loves cowboy boots and would wear them.
- Lora loves Toms Shoes. Those are fun details that make the pictures about you.
Dress on the same scale.
- If he’s wearing a tux, a bohemian dress with torn off sleeves might not be the best option.
- If you are an upscale fashionista, help your love find an outfit that matches your level of dressiness.
- Outfit changes are always welcome – so maybe have one outfit that’s pretty casual and fun, and one that’s a touch more dressy and nice.
Comfort is key.
- Leave those “I have to lay down to button these jeans” at home and opt for something that you feel free to move around in.
- Lora says to avoid too tight-fitting clothes that might accentuate curves you’re not best friends with.
- Jersey material, while comfortable, is a cruel creator of undesirable curve showing, especially when pregnant (for maternity what to wear).
- Think about the time of year and location – ie, if it’s freezing outside – shorts and a tank top might not be ideal.
- If you have some super-awesome heels you want to wear, but you’ll be walking in sand…. try bringing flip-flops and just wearing the shoes for the actual shot.
Color is beautiful.
- I love rich colors, and dark colors are always slimming.
- Something with a little pop always photographs well, but if you’re most “in-love with” shirt is white or off white – don’t be afraid to wear it.
- It’s about you!
Complement Each Other.
- Yes, compliment, too – but really, wear clothes that are complementary.
- If you both want to wear red, or orange, or green, try wearing varying hues or shades.
- Avoid the “we have to match!” mentality, unless you’re just married to the same outfit. In which case – embrace and smile!
Splurge for Sass. (I’ll turn this one over to Lora).
- There’s nothing quite like a brand new dress to bring out the fun for a photograph. I love the idea of having a “never been seen” outfit just for those special pictures.
- And, if you’re all dolled up… it’s a perfect excuse for a post-session date night.
- Yes, like smile and laugh and flirt. You’re getting married! It’s joyous.
- Show your colors. My job is to capture you both totally in love and totally excited for the big day.
Check out a few fun engagements sessions to see what other people are wearing: